(Bands what take their names from “the blues”)
1) This early 90's supergroup featuring Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, John
Hiatt and Nashville session drummer Jim Keltner took their name from
famous profane studio banter between harmonica player Little Walter
and owner of Chess Records, Leonard Chess.
LITTLE VILLAGE (little village, Mother Fucker)
2) This band's name has confused and delighted dope-smokers for 45
years, created by combining the first names of two blues musicians, a
Mr. Anderson and a Mr. Council.
PINK FLOYD (Pink Anderson and Floyd Council)
3) This band's blues pedigree doesn't stop at their name, taken from a
Tommy Johnson song about moonshine. They backed up John Lee Hooker on
a double LP in 1971.
CANNED HEAT (Canned Heat Blues)
4) Christened by their guitar player while phoning Jazz News to place
an advertisement. When asked what the band's name was, he glanced at a
Muddy Waters LP lying on the floor and selected their now iconic name.
THE ROLLING STONES (Rollin' Stone)
5) Creators of the classic psychedelic record “S. F. Sorrow,”
inspiration for just about every band in the Elephant Six collective,
this band took their name from a Bo Diddley rocker.
THE PRETTY THINGS (Pretty Thing)