1) In this 1981 cult movie, Diane Lane stars as the lead singer of an all-girl punk band. Members of the Clash, the Sex Pistols and Black Randy & the Metrosquad all made cameo appearances. What is the movie?
(Ladies & Gentlemen The Fabulous
2) This cartoon all-girl band from the 80’s was actually double-fictional; bandleader
Jerrica Benton, who fostered disadvantaged teenage girls as a day job, used high-
tech computer projectors hidden in her earrings to turn herself into her lead singer
alter ego. What is the name of the band?
(Jem & the Holograms) Bonus: Name the
computer that helps generate her disguise. (Synergy)
3) This Muppet house band featured Animal on drums, Floyd Pepper on bass, Janice
on guitar and Zoot on saxophone. What was the name of the band?
(Dr. Teeth &
the Electric Mayhem) Bonus: What New Orleanian did Jim Henson base the band’s
frontman and keyboard player on? (Dr. John.)
4) Flossie & the Unicorns and Trixie & the Tree Trunks are two puppet bands
formed, literally, here in New Orleans. What real-life New Orleans act created them?
(Quintron & Miss Pussycat)
5) This cartoon death-metal band, as seen on the Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim
programming block, has toured in “real life” with doomy metal acts like Mastodon
and High on Fire. One point for the name of the band, one point for the name of their
6) In the 80’s, character Bill the Cat fronted the bands Billy & the Boingers and
Deathtongue in what popular comic strip?
7) In the movie version of the Daniel Clowes comic book Ghost World, characters
played by Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch go to see the world’s worst blues-rock
band. What’s the name of the terrible, terrible band?
8) Eric Idle of Monty Python’s Flying Circus collaborated with musician Neil Innes
to create this fictional band, which starred in two fake documentary films in the
early “All You Need Is Cash” in 1978 and “Can’t Buy Me Lunch” in 2002. What
was the name of the band? (The Rutles) Bonus: What was the name of Neil Innes’
real 70’s cult rock band, whose most popular songs included “Urban Spaceman”
and “Trouser Press?”
(Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.)
9) Randy Watson, the frontman for the R&B band Sexual Chocolate, is one of several
characters played by Eddie Murphy in this 1988 film.
(Coming to America)
10) The plot of the 1999 film “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” hinges on the fact
that this metal band is essential to the development of future society. What’s the
name of the band?
(Wyld Stallyns) Bonus: Spell Wyld Stallyns.
11) This sitcom, set at fictional Bayside High, aired between 1989 and 1993. The
band Zack Attack, fronted by main character Zack Morris, appeared in several
episodes. What was the name of the sitcom? (Saved By The Bell) Bonus: In the most
recent season of the Showtime series Weeds, Mark Paul Gosselaar, the actor who
played Zack, had a quick and dirty cameo, and was basically nude on screen with
Mary Louise Parker. What other star of the sitcom went on to do a famously sexy