Independent Labels of the 90's:
1.) this So Cal label featured artist such as Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Minutemen, Black Flag, St. Vitus, Husker Du, Descendants
2.) this Olympia, Washington
Label boasts Courtney Love, Bikini KILL, The Vaselines, Beat Happening, Beck, Built to Spill, Modest Mouse
3.)This London record store turned label had tons of artists including Lucinda Williams, Antony and the Johnsons, Duffy, Mr. T experience, Butthole surfers, Epic Soundtracks, Victoria Williams, Pussy Galore, Giant Sand, Panther Burns
Rough Trade Records
4.) This Sub label of a new york import company featured artists such as Bastro, Big Black, Daniel Johnston, Einstürzende Neubauten,GG Allin, King Kong, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Squirrel Bait, Swans, The Frogs, The Meatmen, The Verlaines, Volcano Suns
BONUS Point for Label And Distributor
Homestead Records /Dutch East India
5.) This NYC label run by the same talent buyer as the last question featured artists such as Yo La Tengo, Superchunk, Pavement, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion,Spoon, Teenage Fanclub, Guided By Voices , Thinking Fellers and Liz Phair
BONUS: Name the talent buyer
Matador BONUS: Gerard Cosloy
6.) DC Hardcore label turned whiner label had artists such as Minor Threat, Government Issue, Embrace, Rites of Spring, Nation of Ulysses, Scream, Jawbox, Shudder to Think, Dag Nasty, and Fugazi
7.) Tiny NC bedroom label turned Grammy award winners featured Polvo, Arcade Fire, Spoon, American Music Club, Crooked Fingers, Lambchop, She and Him, Netral Milk Hotel
8.) Butthole Surfers, The Causey Way, Crucifucks, Dead Kennedys, The Dicks, D.O.A., Half Japanese, Melvins, M.I.A., Neurosis, Nomeansno , Tragic Mulatto, Zeni Geva were all on this tiny San Francisco Label
9.) This British Label had My Bloody Valentine, The Pastels, Swervedriver, Jesus and Mary Chain, Ride, Slowdive, Super Furry Animals, Primal Scream, BMX Bandits
10.) This Small Chicago label features Joanna Newsom, Pavement, Faun Fables, Scott Walker, Bill Callahan, Will Oldham, Jim O'Rourke, Scout Niblett, David Grubbs, U.S. Maple, Flying Saucer Attack, The Fucking Champs, Silver Jews, Monotonix, The Red Krayola
11.) BONUS What Small Seattle Label Put out the first Seattle Comp Known as "Deep Six" featuring Soundgarden, The Melvins, Green River, Skin Yard, Malfunkshun, and The U-Men
mixed bag (Indie as a Sound)
1. The band Stereolab sings songs primarily in two languages. One of these is English. What is the other?
2. the bands Palace, for carnation, Tortoise, Squirrel Bait, Bastro, Bush League, Evergreen and the Breeders have what in common?
They all featured Future/Former members of Slint
3. Who was the first American band to be signed to England's 4AD Records? Throwing Muses, Dead Can Dance, Pixies, Cocteau Twins
4. What is the name of Jack Whites allegedly "indie" Empire?
Third Man Records
5. In Juliana Hatfield's "buzz clip" hit "My Sister," her sister was supposed to take her to her first all ages show; which was the Violent Femmes and who?
The Del Fuegos
6. Scott Kannberg (of Pavement) is also commonly referred to as?
7. Crooked Fingers frontman, Eric Bachman hails from what indie rock Group?
Archers of Loaf
8. Lou Barlow and Eric Gaffney were the founders of Sebadoh, what song (with Significance to this theme) did Jason Lowenstein first record with the group?
"Gimme Indie Rock" in 1991
9. Name the musician based in Los Angeles, known for her work as the lead singer, lyricist and founder of both The Geraldine Fibbers and Evangelista and as a founding member of Ethyl Meatplow.
10. Official releases are sound of Confusion (1986), The Perfect Prescription (1987), Performance (1988), Playing with Fire (1989), Recurring (1991) ...name the band.
Independents of the 60's
1.Reprise was formed in 1960 as an independent by what popular crooner?
2.Vee-Jay was owned by Vivian Carter and her husband, James Bracken. It was launched in Gary, Indiana, in 1953, with the couple's first initials used for its name. what was her occupation? BONUS : Why was Vee Jay significant?
DJ, BONUS : it was one of the first black owned labels/ or they were the first label in the US to put out Beatles recordings
3.Chris Blackwell formed What Label in 1959 in Jamaica as an outlet for reggae music. He relocated his operations to the UK three years later... in the 80's it became the imprint for a style called "alternative"
4.His most famous work was The Tornados' hit "Telstar" in 1962, but On 3 February 1967, using a shotgun He murdered his landlady before turning the gun on himself. Who is this independant label owner?
5.Sam Phillips played an important part in the development of Rock 'n' roll as well as country, with artists such as Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, and Charlie Rich on possibly the most important of Indies.